The International Registration Plan (IRP) - a registration reciprocity agreement between the contiguous United States and Canadian provinces, which provides apportioned payments of registration fees, based on the total distance operated in participating jurisdictions, to them. IRP's fundamental principle is to promote and encourage the fullest possible use of the highway system.

The benefit of this plan is that a carrier may be registered in only his/her home state, yet legally engage in interstate commerce. Each carrier vehicle only needs one specially marked "Apportioned", "APP", or "PRP" license plate, and a cab card which lists each jurisdiction the vehicle is valid to do business in and how much weight it is registered to carry.

Apportionable Vehicles: any vehicle intended for use of transporting a person for hire or property, within the contiguous United States and/or Canadian provinces, that drives on:

Any registered vehicle with gross weight of 55,000 pound or more is require to pay a Federal Highway Use tax. This tax is paid by inter-state and intra-state registered vehicles. Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) Form 2290 filing started in late 90’s and was discovered by The American Association of State Highways Official because heavy trucks caused most of the damage. Several reports stated that around 160,000 times more than what a car can cause damage on roads is contributed by trucks. We can file your highway road tax (2290) on time to avoid IRS penalty.

ucr - unified carrier registration

The UCR (Unified Carrier Registration) is a program that replaced the (SSRS) Single State Registration System. The UCR Program requires individuals and companies that operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce to register their business with a participating state and pay an annual fee based on the size of their fleet. This includes ALL carriers - private, exempt, or for hire. Brokers, freight forwarders and leasing companies are also required to register and pay a fee unless they also operate as a motor carrier.

us DoT

A USDOT number is an identification number issued and used by the FMCSA and Departments of Transportation to track and monitor a company's safety record.

A USDOT number is required for any company that owns or operates a Commercial Vehicle with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 10,001 lbs or more, transporting Cargo or a vehicle transporting 9 or more Passengers in Interstate Commerce. USDOT is also required on any intrastate carriers hauling hazardous materials which require a safety permit.

There are states that require USDOT numbers for all commercial motor vehicle registrants such as: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

Once you are required to have a USDOT number, knowing what classification and scope of authority your particular type of business operates in and what cargo classifications describe your commodities is crucial. The scopes of authority are interstate (crossing state lines or hauling cargo intended to cross state lines) and intrastate (hauling cargo within a particular state's borders).

boc3 - blanket of coverage

A BOC-3 is a filing requirement by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and designates agents of process in each state. A Process Agent is a representative upon whom court papers may be served in any proceeding brought against a motor carrier, broker or freight fowarder. A process agent will accept legal papers on your behalf and get them to you in a timely manner, before a judgement can be levied against you.